Author Topic: adjusting casting reels  (Read 399 times)

JT Ozzie

adjusting casting reels
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »
Does everyone have to adjust your casting reel every time you change your lure or conditions?

virginiabass4492

Re: adjusting casting reels
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »
I don't adjust  it BUT I DO check it everytime if I put a  different   wt. bait  on it .
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
I do because of wind and lure weight. doesn't hurt to do this beats a backlash.  (how long does that take to get out of your reel)  adjustments are minor most of time doesn't take that long one click either way set to go. .  ;)

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:19 PM »
Most modern casting reels have two adjustments, spool tension knob on the right and the mag adjust on the left side. When setting the reel for a particular bait, I always start with the spool tension knob
on the right, letting the lure hang a few inches below the rod tip and loosening the knob until the lure very slowly begins to fall. This usually takes care of the lure weight issues. I make a few practice casts and
fine tune the reel with the mag adjust on the left. Due to wind conditions, you may have to play with the mag adjust for time to time.
I always felt the spool tension knob to be the first priority in setting up your rig for a particular bait.
Somebody else in here might have a better method so keep an open mind.

TRR 8)

Edit: If your flipping or pitching, you usually want the reel to pay out more easily. You can do this with the mag adjust. Most new reels have a "Free" position on the mag adjust. This is where
you really  have to "educate" your thumb on the spool. Practice, practice, practice! ;)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:34:48 PM by TennRiverRat »
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »
Two brakes on for me on all my reels with all baits, but the cast control cap sure gets adjusted when I change lures.  The newer reels with outside dials stay on "2".

gottafish

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:22:36 PM »
If you have a magnetic brake system you can adjust but generally once that is set you really want to let it alone and just use the spool tension knob for the most part. I have all centrifugal brakes on my shimanos and abu winch so I never touch it once I get it set where i feel comfortable so i guess I have not touched them in 20 years ;D . I generally tighten the spool knob a bit throwing into heavy wind and loosen it when pitching. Do as riverrat advised but still plan on backlashes. Even after 20 years I still backlash more than I would like to admit!! ::) :'(