Author Topic: Trying a new hobby.  (Read 756 times)

nimmor

Trying a new hobby.
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »
Decided to try pouring my own lures. I'm starting with a "H" spinnerbait mold and a Arkie Jig mold and we see how it goes. So far has been a lot of trial and error but I have learned a few tricks, like use a heat gun instead of a propane torch to heat the lure for painting. Although that error taught me that if I mess up I can just use the torch to melt the lead off lure and it comes very clean. The first one I messed up I put the lure back in the pot and it basically covered the hook to  point I just threw the hook away. It has gotten where I just can't find spinnerbaits in the colors or blade combinations I like. A couple years ago I started making my own skirts so I decide it was time to go to the next level and make by own bases.

Jig Man

Re: Trying a new hobby.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »
Careful there bud.  That is one addicting hobby you are getting into.  Next thing you know you will be like me with at least 20 molds and more jigs and spinner baits than you can use in a lifetime.  Then it is off to thinking plastic worms.  OOPS that means more molds, plastisol, microwave, colorants, glitter, injectors, pouring cups, etc etc.  Better get momma a second job. ;D

Congrats.  I truly love making baits and it is so much fun to come up with color combinations that the fish and fishermen have not seen.

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »
Making and pouring jigs is a great hobby! Like Jigman, I got a bunch of molds, and make a bunch of styles of jigs. Enjoy the new hobby!
The easiest way to heat and paint is to use an old toaster oven. I like to powder-coat the paint. Then I built a couple flo-beds to help with the paint process. Youtube and the internet has a lot of good videos to help.
Good Luck!
IC1

nimmor

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:30 AM »
Careful there bud.  That is one addicting hobby you are getting into.  Next thing you know you will be like me with at least 20 molds and more jigs and spinner baits than you can use in a lifetime.  Then it is off to thinking plastic worms.  OOPS that means more molds, plastisol, microwave, colorants, glitter, injectors, pouring cups, etc etc.  Better get momma a second job. ;D

Congrats.  I truly love making baits and it is so much fun to come up with color combinations that the fish and fishermen have not seen.

Yep it's getting addictive. I just ordered my third mold a weedless football jig mold.

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
My brother is into making and pouring his own plastics. I thought I took a picture of all the crap he has but can't find it. He probably has 30 different molds if not more and every color dye you can think of.

nimmor

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
I was thinking the other day about the fiber guard and if it could be home made. Does anybody make their own fiber guard for jigs and if so what a material do you use?

Jig Man

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »
When I first started making jigs all you could get was 3' long pieces.  We had a bundle of is and had to cut each piece into equal length strands.  It was a total pain and waste of time in for me.  It took twice as long to cut the weedguard as it did to make the jig.

islandbass

• Tsunekichi!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 01:19:02 PM »
Yes, making lures can be just as addictive as drugs. There is also no feeling like catching on something you made yourself. I'm going to sit back with some popcorn because you're probably going to be branching out into making other types of lures like crankbaits soon, lol. It's a blast. I know you're going to enjoy making your own lures. Looking forward to see pics of your handy work.  8)