Author Topic: Favorite Fluorocarbon Line  (Read 1492 times)

KC KONG

• If you aint first your last
Favorite Fluorocarbon Line
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »
Whats everyones favorite fluorocarbon line?

PB: 43in. Northern Pike
PB: 5.18lb LM

Jig Man

Re: Favorite Fluorocarbon Line
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
Seaguar red box because I just bought 8 boxes from a guy who is turning to fishing for crappie.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:48 AM »
I like Spiderwire fluorocarbon, however I'm using it mostly for leader material and not a main line. I've got Seaguar and Bass Pro XPS on my bait casters. Both work fine on bait casters. I've never found a fluorocarbon that I like as a main line on spinning gear. I've tried several and always go back to using Fireline Crystal with a fluorocarbon leader.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

islandbass

• Tsunekichi!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
Seaguar (in the yellow/blue box way back when lol) has been my favorite, but the it got too pricey so I dropped down to their red label which is more economical.  I don't normally use it as a main line, since only the front of the is where it's needed most instead of doing doing wrapped around on a reel's spool.  I will lay on about 2-3 times a max cast to delay retying from forced breakoffs (e.g., when you get your line stuck) that would come with shorter leaders.  I fish a lot of rip rap and rocks when drop shotting so this idea was born out of that.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »
Seaguar (in the yellow/blue box way back when lol) has been my favorite, but the it got too pricey so I dropped down to their red label which is more economical.  I don't normally use it as a main line, since only the front of the is where it's needed most instead of doing doing wrapped around on a reel's spool.  I will lay on about 2-3 times a max cast to delay retying from forced breakoffs (e.g., when you get your line stuck) that would come with shorter leaders.  I fish a lot of rip rap and rocks when drop shotting so this idea was born out of that.

Interesting! I normally use a 15 to 20-foot fluorocarbon leader so I won't have to re-rig every time I break off, however I never thought of using 35 to 40 feet. Sounds logical and I might try it. I drop shot on a lot of sharp rocks at Lake Powell. I've found fluorocarbon to be very abrasion resistant. Also, when fishing a lot of broken rock I've found that cylinder shape drop shot weights snag far less in the rocks than round or bell shaped weights.  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »
I'm surprised that those weights work for you even in fluro.  I fish clear water most of the time and use 6# to 15 #.  The slower the presentation (Ned rig for example) the lighter the line for good bites.  My son in law and I experimented last week strictly Ned rig fishing.  He used 12 and I used 6.  We had 45 bass and I probably caught 30+ on the 6#.

islandbass

• Tsunekichi!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »

Interesting! I normally use a 15 to 20-foot fluorocarbon leader so I won't have to re-rig every time I break off, however I never thought of using 35 to 40 feet. Sounds logical and I might try it. I drop shot on a lot of sharp rocks at Lake Powell. I've found fluorocarbon to be very abrasion resistant. Also, when fishing a lot of broken rock I've found that cylinder shape drop shot weights snag far less in the rocks than round or bell shaped weights.  ;D

Hi, Ed! I hear you about the leader. I did that too, but the number of breakoffs I was getting was taking up too much time re-tying so I said one day, screw this I'm going to put a max cast + so I don't have to retie so often.

I noticed that cylinder shaped also works very well, but because that also started getting pricey, I started using pencil lead, which is already cylindrical in shape. There is a special type of fishing pliers designed to not only cut the pencil lead, but it can also punch a hole in the lead to which you can either tie the lead directly to the line or even use a swivel snap.  Besides the major cost savings (a pound of coiled pencil lead is about $5 give or take) vs $5 for 6 cylinder leads barely a half pound, I have the ultimate in flexibility.  For example, if my weight is too heavy, I could cut it down to size if I were lazy. I just simply unsnap my lead with a smaller one.    If I get a chance, I will see if I can post a pic.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

Hi, Ed! I hear you about the leader. I did that too, but the number of breakoffs I was getting was taking up too much time re-tying so I said one day, screw this I'm going to put a max cast + so I don't have to retie so often.

I noticed that cylinder shaped also works very well, but because that also started getting pricey, I started using pencil lead, which is already cylindrical in shape. There is a special type of fishing pliers designed to not only cut the pencil lead, but it can also punch a hole in the lead to which you can either tie the lead directly to the line or even use a swivel snap.  Besides the major cost savings (a pound of coiled pencil lead is about $5 give or take) vs $5 for 6 cylinder leads barely a half pound, I have the ultimate in flexibility.  For example, if my weight is too heavy, I could cut it down to size if I were lazy. I just simply unsnap my lead with a smaller one.    If I get a chance, I will see if I can post a pic.

I'd like to see that if you can post a picture!   ;D
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »
I do not have flouro on everything, but the reels with flouro are for plastics and have Seaguar InvizX 15lb, which is only .013 diameter and I found a 1000 yd spool on Amazon for $89. I figure it should last me a good while.  The Potomac is so murky most of the time that there are numerous anglers who don't even bother with fluorocarbon.  So don't ask why I use it..... just because I guess should I run into a little water with visibility of more than 2ft.  Probably stupid.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
I do not have flouro on everything, but the reels with flouro are for plastics and have Seaguar InvizX 15lb, which is only .013 diameter and I found a 1000 yd spool on Amazon for $89. I figure it should last me a good while.  The Potomac is so murky most of the time that there are numerous anglers who don't even bother with fluorocarbon.  So don't ask why I use it..... just because I guess should I run into a little water with visibility of more than 2ft.  Probably stupid.

I've found that in moderately stained fluorocarbon is not necessary. I used to fish Alamo Lake out here, a lower desert lake with very moderately stained water, and I used nothing but braided and fused superlines and caught tons of fish. I don't believe fluorocarbon would have made a bit of difference there. Lake Powell is different in that on and near the main channel it is very clear often with 20-foot plus visibility. I quickly learned I got a lot more strikes day in and day out using fluorocarbon.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

islandbass

• Tsunekichi!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
Ed,

I'm going to do this in a new thread.

-ib

BigFran-BassHunter

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
I myself like the Sunline FC Sniper fluoro. Very thin, soft and strong.
I use 5lb for Crappies, 7lb for General Bass fishing (Ned-rig, etc) and 10lb-16lb for heavier Bass fishing
Only as a leader. This fluoro is GREAT. In my opinion.
I use 10lb-15lb  Braid with a Sniper leader.
Fran

nimmor

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
I don't use Fluro very much but when I did I always preferred the Seagur Invisix, the yellow box. But it got pricey and I have gone to the Stren Flurocast. It seems to be pretty good line. I chose it because I have been a Stren mono user for more years than I'll admit.