Author Topic: Senko type baits  (Read 884 times)

Chris McDonald

Senko type baits
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »
How does everyone prefer these get rigged? Texas, Carolina, wacky?  Also is there a particular brand you find to work the best?  And if so, what is the reason?   Just invested in a wacky tool and plan to fish them more than I have in the past.

Ed Gerdemann

Re: Senko type baits
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
I fish a Senko wacky rigged almost exclusively, however I fish water with very little cover so fishing weedless is not a concern. I also fish a lot of Senkos on a drop shot rig but will fish one weightless from time to time. As for the most effective brand, the original Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits Senko is I believe far superior to the knock offs. Last year I fished with my uncle in Texas. He was using a knock off while I was using the original, and I outfished him considerably. There may have been other factors (fluorocarbon leader and general presentation) that might have been a factor, but I think the bait was a factor as well. The down side to the originals is they are extremely soft and full of salt which makes them tear up quite easily. Rarely do you get more than two fish from one, and quite often you get only one. At around $7.95 a pack that can make for an expensive day if the fishing is good. I don't know about you, but I'd rather spend more on baits if it means I catch more fish. That's my personal preference, however it may not be yours.

The key to fishing Senkos is don't overwork them. They have a natural wiggle which is accentuated when they are wacky rigged that bass can't seem to resist. When fishing weightless I simply cast it out and let it settle down. Most of the hits come on that first drop. When it hits the bottom I just slowly lift up and let it drop again. I repeat this two or three times and reel in. If ALL my hits are coming on that first drop I simply reel in once it hits the bottom. That way I can get in more casts and cover more water.

When drop shotting I do much the same. I fish it just like I would fish a live worm or minnow. It has a natural wiggle even on a dead stick presentation. The original Senko is a terrific bait, one of the best to come along over the past 30 years. ;)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
For me Texas rigged on a 3/0 weightless, or wacky.  Ed has a good point, just let the Senko do its thing.  I stock up each spring when Dick's has their Senko sale.  The #213 blue with purple fleck is a killer on the Potomac, at least for me.  The other effective color for me on the murky Potomac is the green pumpkin, copper fleck with a chartreuse tail.  They are loving that thing.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »
For me Texas rigged on a 3/0 weightless, or wacky.  Ed has a good point, just let the Senko do its thing.  I stock up each spring when Dick's has their Senko sale.  The #213 blue with purple fleck is a killer on the Potomac, at least for me.  The other effective color for me on the murky Potomac is the green pumpkin, copper fleck with a chartreuse tail.  They are loving that thing.

I like the laminates. On Lake Powell the watermelon/white laminate is an excellent color. In Texas last year I had excellent luck on the watermelon/lime (yellow) laminate. The primary forage in that lake is sunfish, and this is an excellent sunfish imitating color.  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
The brand is my home made soft sticks.  I rig them TX, wacky, even with a 1/8 oz jig head.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
like  ed and  g3  weightless on 3/0  hook  or  wacky. green pumpkin,  and  I always  use yamamoto  senko's .  no cover in resivoirs I fish and  yamamoto's senko  got  great action. I've  had   4 in.  blue gill try  to  eat these  things.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:24 PM »
like  ed and  g3  weightless on 3/0  hook  or  wacky. green pumpkin,  and  I always  use yamamoto  senko's .  no cover in resivoirs I fish and  yamamoto's senko  got  great action. I've  had   4 in.  blue gill try  to  eat these  things.

Dangle them in front of a walleye's nose and see if that gets its attention!  :D
Ed Gerdemann

grubman

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
It's hard to beat Gary Yamamoto Senko's. I have tried Yum Dinger which would be my 2nd choice and BPS brand. BPS in my opinion is to hard and miss a lot of strikes because hook doesn't penetrate as well. I fish them weedless and weightless for the most part. I fish a lot of rivers and current sometimes I will add split shot to slow them down in the current. One of my tactics for lake fishing is to rig them on a double fluke rig with 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. This set up has a great action.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:27:23 AM by grubman »
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" - Ronald Reagan  

www.Indiancreeklureco.com

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »
It's hard to beat Gary Yamamoto Senko's. I have tried Yum Dinger which would be my 2nd choice and BPS brand. BPS in my opinion is to hard and miss a lot of strikes because hook doesn't penetrate as well.

The one problem you won't have with any Yamamoto soft plastic is the hook failing to penetrate because the plastic is too hard. Yams are about as soft as it gets in that regard. They also tear up very easily. This, plus their high initial cost, makes using them a more expensive deal. The fact they catch so many fish means the more they tear up and the more baits you use, raising the cost even more!  ;D It makes Gary smile all the way to the bank!

I'll say one thing for Yamamoto. They have great service. Last year I ordered some Shad Shaped Worms, my favorite drop shot bait, in the watermelon/white laminate. I got a call from the customer service rep explaining they were out. I told her I was coming up to Lake Powell in just a few days and would really like to have some. She said she'd get the factory, which is located in Page, AZ right by the lake, to make some up and that she'd leave them for me at the Yamamoto campground store. I pulled into the store on may way into town and picked them up. I don't know about you, but I like to give my business to folks who provide service like that.

By the way, I'm heading to the lake tomorrow morning and will return Friday, and I've got quite a few packs of those Shad Shaped Worms in the watermelon/white laminate.  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

grubman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Good luck Ed.
"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" - Ronald Reagan  

www.Indiancreeklureco.com

BigFran-BassHunter

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
The Strike King Zero or the Z Man ZinkerZ 5" worms are very soft and last 10 times longer than Senko's.
I stretch them than put them in hot water for a minute or so. This dissipates the salt and the worms become lighter and more buoyant.
The more you use these worms the softer they become and you don't need a "O" ring with them.
You can use one of these worms all day and still have it at the end of the day.
Best colors for me are-(#!)Watermelon Red, Dirt, Bubblegum, Green Pumpkin Orange, Pearl and PB&J,
Both the Zero and ZinkerZ are made by Z Man. The Zero's are cheaper to buy. E-Bay has them.
1 PK will last you all season! No lie.
Fran
PS  I've caught hundreds of Bass with them.

BigFran-BassHunter

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
The Z Man ZinkerZ and the Strike King Zero worms have a great Watermelon/White color. They last 10 times longer than Sinko's and are just as soft if not softer.
The more you use these worms the softer they become. AND you don't have to use an "O" ring on them. Hook them direct. They won't come off the hook either casting or fish bites.
I found that if you use a double "O" ring with the Yamamoto Senko's they will last longer. Criss cross the "O" rings to make an X than put you hook through the X for Wacky Worming. This will saving you some money.
Give it a try for Senko'a, or any plastic worm.
BUT not for the ZinkerZ or Zero worms. They can be used for Wacky, Flick Shake and Nose hooking plus TX rigging hooked direct.
Fran

Ed try the X double "O" ring on you Senko's. It works great also.