Author Topic: WEATHER  (Read 703 times)

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
WEATHER
« on: May 30, 2017, 07:00:24 AM »
Wow the wind and weather has beat me down . I think I'm getting old fighting the trolling motor . I get back and can hardly move for a day I'm so sore. been catching fish but would enjoy it more if I did not feel so worn down from the wind and cold.. 49 degrees in MAY ? .  Has anyone one else run into this in there state?

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
Re: WEATHER
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
Just starting to get nice here in Iowa. We had 3 weeks of cold, wind and rain. Ready for summer!
IC1
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:30:58 AM by indiancreek1 »

nimmor

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
I fish from a small boat so anytime the wind is strong it really pushes me around. I have found the best thing to do is face into the wind and run the trolling motor on a higher setting. It makes casting more difficult but I can control the boat better.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 04:24:21 PM »
Wow the wind and weather has beat me down . I think I'm getting old fighting the trolling motor . I get back and can hardly move for a day I'm so sore. been catching fish but would enjoy it more if I did not feel so worn down from the wind and cold.. 49 degrees in MAY ? .  Has anyone one else run into this in there state?

That happened to me at Lake Powell last week. We had two days of great weather, but when we got to the ramp Thursday morning and saw all the white caps on Wahweap Bay we decided we did not wish to fight it - been there and done that many times. While I think a little wind can be beneficial, especially on a bright, sunny day, too much wind makes fishing miserable. having to be on the trolling motor constantly is tiring, especially when you're on the wrong side of 60. Since I'm primarily a finesse fisherman, a lot of wind is not conducive to my fishing style. When this happens I will throw cranks, spinnerbaits and jerk baits, but I just don't have as much confidence in these as the soft plastics.  :)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:27:39 AM »
The Tidal Potomac is so shallow (an average of 6')  outside the main channel to D.C. that it only takes winds of 10mph to white cap, so in my tin G3 I really have to  be careful in picking my days.  I usually fish across the river in a tributary coming out of Maryland and have gone in dead calm and come back to the river facing 3' breakers.  That makes for an interesting 3 mile ride across the river to get back to my state park launch.  This happens in spite of my careful weather checks and planning.  Not often though thank goodness.

Jig Man

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
We have had wind all winter and all spring.  It will prolly quit when it gets above 90 and I want it to blow.

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:49 PM »

That happened to me at Lake Powell last week. We had two days of great weather, but when we got to the ramp Thursday morning and saw all the white caps on Wahweap Bay we decided we did not wish to fight it - been there and done that many times. While I think a little wind can be beneficial, especially on a bright, sunny day, too much wind makes fishing miserable. having to be on the trolling motor constantly is tiring, especially when you're on the wrong side of 60. Since I'm primarily a finesse fisherman, a lot of wind is not conducive to my fishing style. When this happens I will throw cranks, spinnerbaits and jerk baits, but I just don't have as much confidence in these as the soft plastics.  :)

I'm with you Ed. Trying to fish finesse with the wind putting a bow in your line is like playing golf in a crosswind. At my age(73) I'll just stay home and wait for a calm day :)

TennRiverRat
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth

Jig Man

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 05:42:35 AM »
Guys we are all on the wrong side of something.  I missed all of June and most of July last year recovering from a stroke.  Now I have missed 3 weeks of it this year with a trailer axle gone bad.  I got the boat back last night and I have to make up for lost time.  So color me on the water as often as I can get there wind or no wind.  Lightning and tornadoes will keep me off for a while.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
catch a lot  but be safe.  good luck.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
Go get 'em Jig Man!

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
Well true to form we are getting high winds because of a front starting to go through 15 to 20 mph wind clear sky' for now with rain expected 5 days out of 7 with thunderstorms. My son has 3 days vacation and would like to go out fishing . going to try and hope for the best. ::)