Author Topic: Icast- ( what a joke )  (Read 957 times)

virginiabass4492

Icast- ( what a joke )
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:25:19 PM »
I looked at some of the products that are feathered and  relize that it NOT for the everyday fisherperson ! Almost everything on there is high end!,Quantum reels ,(the smoke one ) .Daiwa,steeza reels, tatula, lews.

Only companys I saw that  would be for everyday people  who could afford to but baits, reels and etc, was  strike king, z man, Berkley, storm, and  yum. the rest of them-you have to be a  pro with  or someone with  money ! all  that stuff is to catch the fisherman  NOT  the  fish  !
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
Re: Icast- ( what a joke )
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
I have gotten some released news items from some of my suppliers and companies I deal with. They all have new products. The big $$ items are the ones we see in a lot of the adds. The bigger $$ are what seems to help drive the market.
There are great new products from Strike-king, Rapala, sunline, Spro, BigBite, and others, just not all the info is released yet. Some products will be ready to sell a bit later.
IC1

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
Fishing is a business nowadays.  fishing for fun!.. they look at you like your nuts. It's getting harder to fish lakes in my area and get some big fish. I had 4 bass clubs on the same river with me I got to the launch early 4:00 am and the launch was jam packed with trucks and rigs this launch has parking for about 75 cars .  . I talked with another guy and he said it was getting out of hand. He is a local and has a season parking like me but I pay more because I'm not a resident he cant find a place to park told him we are going to have to get up earlier..he didn't laugh . I always try to pay forward so to speak. but some of these guys with there big money boats have more ego than sense. I met some good ones also and we talked some on this and they agreed with me some guys have Dads money and entitlement and act like they are bass gods. Guess I am old school I like quiet peaceful days on the water not watching boats flying by me at 60 and 70 mph. What ever happened to  this sport.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 01:36:42 PM »
You are so right guess I will  jus have to sit back and  enjoy my slow  time on the water, seems  like the older I get the faster things  move  lol

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
The saving grace is we do not need expensive lures to catch bass and enjoy  the water and nature . enjoy Gods blessings and slow down enjoy life that is what its all about.

nimmor

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 05:01:11 AM »
Think of it in a positive way. If there are guys out there willing to spend big bucks and sink it in to this sport we call fishing it keeps the industry alive and is giving someone somewhere a job. Like it was said you don't have to have the expensive toys to catch  fish, but it can be nice to dream about a boat that cost as much as my house.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
 ;) Tks  fellows  will do. I truly do enjoy the sport in fact I just got bk from bp shops which is about 45 mins. away. to   buy  just  2 items  lol

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
Fishing is a business nowadays.  fishing for fun!.. they look at you like your nuts. It's getting harder to fish lakes in my area and get some big fish. I had 4 bass clubs on the same river with me I got to the launch early 4:00 am and the launch was jam packed with trucks and rigs this launch has parking for about 75 cars .  . I talked with another guy and he said it was getting out of hand. He is a local and has a season parking like me but I pay more because I'm not a resident he cant find a place to park told him we are going to have to get up earlier..he didn't laugh . I always try to pay forward so to speak. but some of these guys with there big money boats have more ego than sense. I met some good ones also and we talked some on this and they agreed with me some guys have Dads money and entitlement and act like they are bass gods. Guess I am old school I like quiet peaceful days on the water not watching boats flying by me at 60 and 70 mph. What ever happened to  this sport.
You're absolutely right! Back in the 70's when I was actively tournament fishing, I enjoyed the competition for a while. But like you said, some of the tournament fishermen I was around, with their giant egos made an enjoyable experience into something I came to dread over time. Plus, it became too much like work trying to stay competitive. It stopped being a leisurely experience, into my considering giving up fishing all together.
Well, many years have past, and I am back to enjoying a leisurely few hours on the water two or three times a week, and don't feel like a failure, if my daily catch is just a few small fish.
I guess it's old age and retirement that has mellowed me. Don't get me wrong. I definitely encourage anyone who is into competitive fishing to go for it! It can be a good career if one stays diligent.

TennRiverRat
 8)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:43:05 PM by TennRiverRat »
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »
If they go into competitive fishing they should also be aware of how they present themselves.  I hate the way they handle fish don't pitch them in from 6 1/2 feet through the air. don't believe me check out how people emulate the pros on u tube. also keep the ego in check not everyone thinks you are Gods gift to bass fishing. Don't come in at 60 mph and shutting it down throwing a wake when there is a father and child pan fishing in a smaller boat nearby. I had some guys in tournament see me catch a fish and came over within 20 yards and started casting over me. on one lake  I was catching A Bass and he passed by my bow with his trolling motor about 3 ft ! I asked him what where you thinking ?. He replied he was in a tournament and I wasn't . You wonder why I feel the way I do . I don't think that this is what Ray Scott intended the sport to turn out today.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:51:03 AM by bassobsessed »

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:21:43 AM »
It is sad to see how some folks handle themselves on the water. You are correct Keith, a lot have no respect for non-competitive anglers out on the water the same time they are. I see it here on our smaller lakes in Iowa, as well as on the Mississippi River. It is bad when you are fishing a point or structure, and a boat goes 20 feet away, running their electronics with the side scan checking out the spot you are fishing, and then try to bump you off it. I was on a smaller lake here last year, a guy and his wife idled through between my boat, and the point I was casting to, (30 feet), and it was about 1.5 feet deep. Can't believe they did not hit rock bottom. I told them what I thought ;D, and they said it was a public lake, they could go wherever they wanted. So I told him a place or 2 he could go! ;D

What also bothers me is all toe youth that are watching the pros, and trying to be just like them. Well, in some ways, that is great, some ways not as good. When they get so competitive at an early age, I think they will not learn some of the benefits a relaxing day on the water fishing gives us. All they want is to be very competitive, and get their results measured at the end of the day. The life lessons are not about what is always important.

I get kids in my tackle shop all the time. I help them as much as I can. I try to tell them that a lot of fish are caught on a $2 or $3 jig and trailer, and you do not need to always throw a $16.00 crank-bait.

There are a lot of fishing skills and lessons to be learned that youtube the TV shows do not teach.
IC1

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:26:40 AM »
Thanks Kyle always great to hear from you.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 06:54:48 AM »
Last time I went fishing I overheard one of the tournament fishermen that he lost 5  $20.00 crankbaits to northern pike .  I thought of this post and was grinning. want to play you got to pay. I would rather lose a $6.00 lure than a $20.00 to $25.00 lure .

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
After the 2nd one, I would use a cheaper one! I own a tackle store, and STILL do not use $20 baits! But I will sell them!
IC1

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »
It is sad to see how some folks handle themselves on the water. You are correct Keith, a lot have no respect for non-competitive anglers out on the water the same time they are. I see it here on our smaller lakes in Iowa, as well as on the Mississippi River. It is bad when you are fishing a point or structure, and a boat goes 20 feet away, running their electronics with the side scan checking out the spot you are fishing, and then try to bump you off it. I was on a smaller lake here last year, a guy and his wife idled through between my boat, and the point I was casting to, (30 feet), and it was about 1.5 feet deep. Can't believe they did not hit rock bottom. I told them what I thought ;D, and they said it was a public lake, they could go wherever they wanted. So I told him a place or 2 he could go! ;D

What also bothers me is all toe youth that are watching the pros, and trying to be just like them. Well, in some ways, that is great, some ways not as good. When they get so competitive at an early age, I think they will not learn some of the benefits a relaxing day on the water fishing gives us. All they want is to be very competitive, and get their results measured at the end of the day. The life lessons are not about what is always important.

I get kids in my tackle shop all the time. I help them as much as I can. I try to tell them that a lot of fish are caught on a $2 or $3 jig and trailer, and you do not need to always throw a $16.00 crank-bait.

There are a lot of fishing skills and lessons to be learned that youtube the TV shows do not teach.
IC1

I had some big problems with tournament fishermen on the lower desert lakes here in Arizona. One time on Alamo Lake my fishing partner and I got caught in a 60-boat tournament (3000 acre lake). In the afternoon we went down to some steep structure down near the dam as none of the tournament guys were fishing there. Almost immediately we took three or four fish. Soon there were three tournament boats screaming towards us. When they came down off plane one of those guys told us to beat it. He said they were fishing a tournament and had precedence on all the good spots. I told him what I thought of his assessment and that we would not be leaving. He and his buddies then cut donuts around my little 14-foot aluminum boat filling it with water. I reported these jerks to the proper authorities but got no satisfaction.

One Saturday morning in the spring of 1999 my neighbor and I got up early and drove out to Roosevelt Lake where we encountered a 120-boat tournament. Fishing there was nearly impossible. A week later another friend and I drove back out to Alamo where there was one 64-boat Arizona tournament and two 30-boat California tournaments, 124 tournament boats on a 3000-acre lake! It was so bad you could not motor from one side of the lake to the other with all those high-powered bass boats ripping back and forth. You had to go down to the dam and cross there to go up the other side. Needless to say our day was not enjoyable. A week later my wife and I drove up to Page and purchased our Lake Powell property. While Powell gets some tournament fishing (not as much as the smaller lakes), it's so big that the boats get spread out pretty well.

When of the "up sides" to the economic downturn in 2007-2008 here in Arizona is it really affected the tournament fishermen as many of them were in construction. A lot of those guys lost their boats and tow vehicles to the banks when they could no longer make the payments. That impacted the number of tournaments that were held for several years, and several small tackle shops who catered mostly to tournament fishermen went out of business. With improving conditions we're seeing an upturn in tournament activity but nothing like the 80s and 90s. I see only a couple tournaments a year when I'm fishing Powell, and, as I said earlier, the size of the lake spreads those guys out pretty well as to have little impact on my fishing.  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

islandbass

• Tsunekichi!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Glad to see I am not alone in seeing cost of things just getting out of hand.  I am a fishing for fun angler.  As a shorebound angler, there is nothing I like less than boaters encroaching on me when I land a good fish from the shore such that I can hit them with a mere cast. They have access to all parts of the like I can't and they stroll into my space because I caught a decent bass and yet they couldn't with a boat and a steez or chronarch and maybe a GLX rod or two, lol. :o

@Ed - Lord knows, I might have to leave the pacific northwest ( :'() for Arizona to be closer to family in the next few years, probably in the Tucson area though.