Author Topic: shrimp  (Read 47 times)

virginiabass4492

shrimp
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:39:58 PM »
i went to  wal-mart  and  saw shrimp in a  case,  and also live green worms at  7-11 . would the shrimp be  good  for crappie ?  and how  about the shrimp for  bass  ?  . Just a  wild though.  have  no where to  get  live  minnows  now.

Keep Your Lines Wet :)

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
Re: shrimp
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »
Never tried shrimp for bass fishing but have had a lot of luck fishing with live crawfish..
It may be a little late in the season where you live to find schooling minnows on your fishing waters, but you may want to keep this on the backburner for next summer and fall.
Learn to cast a throw net to catch your own minnows! Walmart in most towns sell a 4' and 6' throw net relatively inexpensive. Also buy you a plastic kitchen 13 gal garbage can and mount
one of the small aerators on one of the top lips of the can to bubble the water that you put in the can to keep the minnows alive and frisky. Lake water is best so there is no drastic change in water temps
to shock the minnows that you catch. The throw nets that you buy come with pretty good instructions on how to throw the net where it opens fully before hitting the water.
It will take some practice, but pretty soon you'll be an old hand at throwing the net.
Where I live, drifting live minnows in a steady current brings the best results but if no current is present you can fish them on a large bobber like they do in Florida.
B.T.W. I wouldn't opt for a throw net over 6' in diameter unless you have an extra large platform on the front of your boat. Anything larger than 6' is hard to manage if your throwing area is small.

TennRiverRat 8)

Edit: Drifting live minnows on the Tennessee River  is deadly on Smallmouth bass!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:27:30 PM by TennRiverRat »
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth