Author Topic: Braid Line  (Read 1072 times)

Igniter66x

Braid Line
« on: December 16, 2017, 05:13:25 PM »
I want to put braid line on my spinning reel, eye sight ain't what it used to be.  Thinking yellow braid vs green.  You think bass can see the difference.   

Jig Man

Re: Braid Line
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
I wouldn't use green if it were free.  It is too hard to see.  Yellow will fade so I just buy white to begin with.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
I wouldn't use green if it were free.  It is too hard to see.  Yellow will fade so I just buy white to begin with.

That's what I recommend. If you're fishing in clear water I suggest you add a fluorocarbon leader. I have to do that on Lake Powell which is quite clear.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

Igniter66x

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks for your input, didn't know they made braid in white.

Jig Man

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:36:39 PM »

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
I want to put braid line on my spinning reel, eye sight ain't what it used to be.  Thinking yellow braid vs green.  You think bass can see the difference.

Been using Berkley Nanofil in yellow for two years with good success. Use it in 10# on my spinning rig with no issues. I personally don't think the fish( at least on our local waters) are spooked by the bright yellow..Line diameter on the braid is probably equal to 4# mono.  At my age I need all the help I can get visually especially since I am line watcher and always have been.

TRR 8)
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth

BigFran-BassHunter

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:52:22 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm 77 yrs old and my eyes aren't what they were either.
I use 15lb Yellow Tuf-Line Domin8 Braid with a 7lb to a 10lb Sunline FC Sniper leader for my Basic Bass fishing. Excellent Combo. A 6'8" mxf St Croix Mojo rod and a 2500 size reel
Very Easy to see line movement and very buoyant and strong. No problems at all.
I have it on all 5 of my Spinning reels. from 10lb to 30lb Domin8 Yellow Braid. It's smaller than Power Pro Super 8 Slick Braids
I use it for Crappies,Ned-Rig, Wacky Worm, etc. All my Bass fishing from Ultra-Finesse to Slop-N-Frogging. (30lb Domin8 for Frogging and heavier lures with a 6'6" MH Compre rod and a 3000 size reel.)
I only use Spinning outfits. I can't get used to those BaitCasters. I'm too old to change.  LOL
I live here in Central NJ. So avg size Bass are 3-6lb where I fish..
I use a 6lb Tuf-Line SuperCast Yellow Braid  with a 5lb Sniper leader for Crappies in the Spring with a 6'6" ML Shimano Compre rod and a 1000 size reel. Good Combo. No Problems.
I highly recommend the Tuf-Line Domin8 Braids. My reels are all Shimano Stradics.

Fran

virginiabass4492

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
I use black and it works pretty good for  me and I wear glasses being my eyes are bad  too  lol
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

virginiabass4492

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
Think i'am gonna give the white braid a try this yr. and see if it makes a difference in my hookups.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:37 AM »
Been using suffix 832 in neon lime green  in 20 lb  dia is equivalent to 6 lb test. I doesn't fade or fray or knot up like some I have used. easy to watch line which is a plus .  Had a learning curve to fish braid had to lighten up drag an sweep the rod rather than setting hook hard like I used to. love this line when fishing finesse I use the line with a fluorocarbon  leader and some times I don't and tie direct.  depends on water conditions i use a braid knot . been fishing with this about 3 yrs now and haven't looked back. Good fishing

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »

Been using Berkley Nanofil in yellow for two years with good success. Use it in 10# on my spinning rig with no issues. I personally don't think the fish( at least on our local waters) are spooked by the bright yellow..Line diameter on the braid is probably equal to 4# mono.  At my age I need all the help I can get visually especially since I am line watcher and always have been.

TRR 8)

A guide friend of mine has been screaming for me to try Nanofil. I would be interested in it except for one major concern - its slickness. Because of the clear water I fish, I use a fluorocarbon leader on most my setups, and I'm afraid Nanofil's slickness would compromise my splice knot. I splice with a double uni tied by tying two fly fishing nail nots back to back with a fly fisherman's nail knot tool. This works very well for me. Do you think I would have any splicing issues with Nanofil, especially with my preferred knot.  ???
Ed Gerdemann

TennRiverRat

• Global Moderator
  • Miss. Oxbow fishing
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »
Ed I know it's not politically correct to fish braid without a flourocarbon leader tied to the braid but I have always fished  braid without a leader with no problems. Granted our waters here always have a green algae bloom and we rarely experience the clear water conditions that you do. The closest we have in Alabama to the clear water that you have on Lake Powell is Lewis Smith Lake near Cullman,Al
And in direct overhead sunlight visibility is down to 30'. Tough fishing even with ultra light gear and line.
Wish I could advise about knot tying with Nanofil but have never felt the need to use a leader. The 10# Nanofil that I use is extremely small.......so small that I even have trouble tying a Palomar or Improved Clinch with my shaking, diabetic fingers ;D

TRR 8)

Edit  If you read the specs on Nanofil, the line is designed specifically for spinning. It is slick but totally noiseless..................and no "line memory" like mono and fluorocarbon.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:57:36 PM by TennRiverRat »
"River Rat"......Obsessed fisherman who spends entirely too much time on the river(According to my Wife!!)--Killen, Al. Home of Giant Smallmouth

virginiabass4492

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
Has  anyone tried  sunline  ?

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
Ed I know it's not politically correct to fish braid without a flourocarbon leader tied to the braid but I have always fished  braid without a leader with no problems. Granted our waters here always have a green algae bloom and we rarely experience the clear water conditions that you do. The closest we have in Alabama to the clear water that you have on Lake Powell is Lewis Smith Lake near Cullman,Al
And in direct overhead sunlight visibility is down to 30'. Tough fishing even with ultra light gear and line.
Wish I could advise about knot tying with Nanofil but have never felt the need to use a leader. The 10# Nanofil that I use is extremely small.......so small that I even have trouble tying a Palomar or Improved Clinch with my shaking, diabetic fingers ;D

TRR 8)

Edit  If you read the specs on Nanofil, the line is designed specifically for spinning. It is slick but totally noiseless..................and no "line memory" like mono and fluorocarbon.

When I was fishing the central Arizona desert lakes (Bartlett, Pleasant, Alamo, Roosevelt) I never used a fluorocarbon leader with braid. That didn't start until I started fishing Lake Powell which is much clearer than these other waters. I agree that in dirty or stained water there is no need for a leader with braid, but in really clear water I believe that, at least on some occasions, there is. I know this. When I'm using a fluorocarbon leader with a superline on Powell I have a lot more confidence because I know that line visibility is an issued I eliminated before I left the dock. And when I have more confidence I fish better.  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Here in MO we don't need a leader until late winter when the water is super clear.  One day 6 of us went fishing for crappie on Table Rock lake.  I had a guy that I can normally beat, my neighbor had his wife and 2 friends went in a third boat.  We all fished within a couple of hundred yards of each other.  At the end of the day my neighbor and I who were the only 2 using braid (8/1 Power Pro) suffered a beat down.  I know that is not very scientific but was good enough for me.