Author Topic: Ed Gerdemann  (Read 115 times)

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Ed Gerdemann
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
Ed, Our grandson just graduated from ASU and is going to stay in Phoenix to work (yes an ASU Phoenix girl friend) also.  He is a bass fishing nut, but not so much his four years at ASU.  He keeps asking me about Lake Havasu because I fish, but I know nothing about the lake.  I notice from your posts it does not appear to be one of your favorites.  You must have words of wisdom on the lake.  How far is it from Phoenix?

Ed Gerdemann

Re: Ed Gerdemann
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I've been out of town for three weeks and without access to this website. Lake Havasu is an interesting fishery. Like the other Colorado River lakes it suffered a significant decline in fishing in the 80s. Many people blamed the stripers overrunning the lake as the cause, but it's been proven that was not the case. It has been significantly improving in recent years. Smallmouth bass were established in the river below the lake, but the bucket brigades illegally stocked them in the lake sometime in the 90s, and right now Havasu is a really good big smallmouth lake and largemouth fishing has rebounded significantly since the 1980s.

The biggest news from Havasu, however, has been the red ear sunfish fishery. Havasu has had a population of red ears for years, but since the infestation of the quagga mussels in the early 2000s this fishery has exploded. The world record has been broken several times there. I think the current record is just a bit shy of six pounds. The red ears love to eat quagga mussels, and they've gotten huge in Havasu from them.

I don't fish Havasu since I own property up at Powell and keep my boat there. If I had a boat here in Phoenix I might get over there a couple times a year, however Powell is so good; however don't be shocked if you start hearing about some record class smallies coming from there. In fact, I think Havasu, along with some central California lakes, have the best shot at producing a world record smallie right now.  :)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Re: Ed Gerdemann
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »
I thank you Ed.  Just in time since he and buddy are planning a week end there and neither one is from Arizona.  Class mates at ASU.