Author Topic: Guys, watch this dude... catching a striper.  (Read 1452 times)

Subitai

• My other passion
Guys, watch this dude... catching a striper.
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:51 AM »
Watch this dude catching a (Salt) Striped Bass...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7gawwTVhi0&feature=endscreen

Now tell me you don't get the feeling that this guy is about to break his rod?

I don't know about you guys but during the fight,  I was saying to myself "Any second now...SNAP!" 

I fish the same type waters in my carolina Skiff standing off the front deck but for sure i'd have my drag at least a Tick looser than that.  You know, I think the advantage of standing up is...I can use my legs as shock absorbers.   

He horsed him in pretty good but dang I swear that rod looked like it was about to snap!

Mabe it's because I've never really tried it from a Kayak but what do you guys think? 

Yeah I know, I got cabin fever so you have to forgive me with these videos...I'm just trying to survive you know?  hahaha
"O"
"O" ....  "I buy MORE than my share to keep the Tackle Industry in business   "

gottafish

• Administrator
Re: Guys, watch this dude... catching a striper.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:31:28 AM »
He is using a fish eye lens which exaggerates the bend in the rod. Notice the curvature of the water and when the rod is on either side of the frame it bends whether he has a fish on or not.

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
He is using a lighter action rod also, which really ooads up, and absorbs the stress into the blank, so the really light line does not snap.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
This looks like fun but it doesn't look too safe . The way the kayak was throwing a wake and rocking I expected him to be taken out to the ocean or hit by a ferrycrossing. if he ever flipped how about hypothermia he might last 10 min max . How about sharks. I think the last thing on my mind would be is the rod breaking LOL.

Surf Bird

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:00:46 PM »
John Skinner knows what he is doing. He is very good at giving seminars and fishes kayaks, surf and jetties. I attended a few of his seminars at Surf Day at Brookdale Community College. I believe he also writes for a few publications also. I also kayak fish. If you can not have a boat where you live a kayak is a good alternative. He was in very calm waters. I have been in water(New Jersey Surf) that caused me to get seasick yes I pulled the plug. I'm going to try his Tube and Worm technique. Thank you for Posting.

beardog

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
most impressive fishing from a kayak!! Not so safe if weather were to kick up in that kayak but to each there own.
F/V JennyBecca