Author Topic: Fishing In ORange Beach, AL  (Read 1016 times)

boomer400

Fishing In ORange Beach, AL
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
Heading to Orange Beach in late May. Any suggestions or recommendations on guides/charters for a half-day of inshore fishing with teenagers? Been to Orange Beach before but would be first time to fish. Thanks!!!

THEREHEIS

Re: Fishing In ORange Beach, AL
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 10:09:42 AM »
My son-in-law has a 52 foot Cabo with a tuna tower that he keeps in the marina at Orange Beach.  Its a really fast boat that will do 50 knots and he mainly uses it to fish the high dollar tournaments down there.  However, he does do some bottom fishing.

Here's my suggestions:

1) look for a small boat (under 30 feet) and get a half day charter all for you and your friends (4 max, including you) for close in fishing.  The pass under the Mobile bridge can have some huge redfish at times (30 lbs. and up) and if they're biting you can catch them until they wear you out.  The small boat can probably try a half dozen places in a half day.

2) for bottom fishing you will want at least a full day charter on a larger boat (air conditioned cabin and private head) and you need to ask what the captain has been fishing for recently and how well he has been doing.  Out of Orange Beach in early summer it will probably be mostly snapper (red and big eye) but not much grouper.

3) I don't think you want to charter a trolling boat as the run out to blue water is a long one at Orange Beach and the fishing is slow.  Even on a good day on a 10-12 person charter on a 50 foot boat, you may not catch a single fish.  Most of the people who do this charter the boat all to themselves (very expensive, budget $10,000 to $12,000 for a single day).
42 years of tournament bass fishing