Author Topic: 50 lb trust trolling motor  (Read 528 times)

virginiabass4492

50 lb trust trolling motor
« on: December 27, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »
what  size battery  is good? someone said a series  27 ?  this is NOT a foot controlled motor. 
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Re: 50 lb trust trolling motor
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:47:42 PM »
I have a 55 on my G3 and went to a size 27 two years ago for the extra power since I run it for up to 6 hours when I am out on the tidal Potomac fighting the wind, flow and tide. The down side is that puppy is 59 pounds and I store the boat at the state park, so I pull it after each trip to bring home and put on the battery tender in the garage.  I have never run out of juice.  That said, I ran a size 24 for 10 years before that and it ran a 42 ftpd TM.  Probably did not need the 27 because I changed the old 42 TM for the 55 digitial variable speed, which are a more efficient motor.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:53:40 PM by G3boats »

Jig Man

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
It is not as simple as what size do I need to buy.  It depends on your trolling motor, its age, and condition.  I am assuming it is a 12 volt motor.  If that is the case it may draw as much as 40 amps/hr on high 20 on medium and 5 on low.  It may draw more if it is older and has worn brushes.  So one of the things to consider is battery amp hour rating.  However, the main thing I always look for is the reserve capacity.  The larger that number the longer you will have good power and be able to stay on the water.  200 RC is optimal in my opinion.  I would not go below 160.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 11:48:54 PM »
Get the biggest one you can fit in your battery box! Better yet, if you have room, run two batteries in tandem for a 12-volt motor. That's what I would do if I could. My boat is already a bit heavy in the rear where the batteries are, and I don't want to add any more weight back there. I might be able put them in my front storage compartment, but wiring in to the motor might be difficult. At any rate, I get the best battery I can find which is important because the heat here in Arizona chews up batteries quickly.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Ed, we just returned from Phoenix last week from attending grandson's graduation from ASU.  Never been to Phoenix before and really enjoyed it.

nimmor

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »
I couldn't tell you the size I have for my 45lb thrust, and it's too cold outside for me to go look. But I always buy the best I can afford. A little tip to long life is to always charge it at the end of the day. It will defiantly increase the life of the battery. You could check the website of your motors manufacturer and they should have battery size recommendations for their motors.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:48:54 AM »
Ed, we just returned from Phoenix last week from attending grandson's graduation from ASU.  Never been to Phoenix before and really enjoyed it.

The weather has been great out here this week! We could use some moisture, however. We especially need on the west slope in Colorado as that is were a lot of our water comes from! That's certainly where Lake Powell's water comes from! Glad you enjoyed your time here. You ought to come out and see Lake Powell sometime!  :D
Ed Gerdemann