Author Topic: setting you fish finder.  (Read 349 times)

virginiabass4492

setting you fish finder.
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:23:33 AM »
The fish finder brother in law has is one that fits on side of jon boat . my question is: if we're fishing in say 15 ft. of water  do it hurt that the fish Finder it set to read down to 80 ft ? will it  still give us true reading ?
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Ed Gerdemann

Re: setting you fish finder.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
If the water you fish is shallow, say a maximum of 30 feet or so, I would think it would be best to set the finder for the deepest water you likely will encounter if you are operating it in the manual mode. Where I fish on Lake Powell it is very difficult to operate a finder in the manual mode as water depth can change from 15 feet to over 300 feet in less than the length of a boat. I and most folks I know run their finders in automatic mode because of this. In automatic my finders have a general mode, a freshwater mode and a deep water mode. The general mode is pretty much worthless. For the smallmouth fishing I do I generally run my finders in the freshwater mode, however if I'm fishing an area of great depth fluctuation or I'm looking for stripers I'll sometimes change it to the deep water mode.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
I keep mine on auto for the same reason Ed, although the depth changes on the Potomac are not as drastic as you experience.  Worse case is trolling out away from fishing 5'deep near the bank and suddenly you are over the 30-60' channel.  I would go nuts changing the depth parameters all the time.

Jig Man

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
Before the units became as sophisticated as they are now I used to set upper and lower limits on them.  That kept a good range for my drop shotting. But I don't drop shot any more and the units are good enough that I set them on shallow water and auto.