Author Topic: Best Boat  (Read 453 times)

bassman83

Best Boat
« on: January 31, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »
Wanting to get people's opinion on the best boat to buy if you want to be able to fish freshwater and saltwater. I mainly fish freshwater ponds and lakes but do fish saltwater multiple times a year. What's the opinions on the best boat to have to do both? Thanks for any input.

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Re: Best Boat
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:39:09 PM »
I would guess any one with a fiber glass hull and motor plus TM for salt use.

Jig Man

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
Depending on what you want to spend.  Most companies make a bay boat. 

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
I've known folks who use their big multi species V-hull aluminums on both fresh and salt water. Guys also use these same types of boats on the Great Lakes which is a lot like the ocean as far as rough water is concerned. Lund, Lowe, Crestliner, Tracker and Ranger all make V-hull aluminums that would work. Many of the fiberglass boat companies make nice center-console bay type boats which work very well in fresh water. The Lake Powell guides use these types of boats. My suggestion is go to your local boat show this spring and see what's available.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

Bill M

• Bill M's Wacky Tool
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
That's a tuff question to answer, price is always a concern, but as Ed posted the Great Lakes guys use boats that can handle the salty world also.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
I downsized from the tournament days .one is cost ,and another is I wanted to fish for salmon once in awhile.  Sold my skeeter with a 150  and a 23 ft 4 winns lake cruiser and went to a Lund 1650 ANGLER  ss with a 90 hp Evinrude  . Bought it new in 1998 and it hasn't missed a beat still looks great. I will be 71 this June and Could not be happier with my decision. Fish in Lake erie with heavy winds for walleye also have fished Salmon in Lake michigan 22 lb to 26 lb chinook in rough water. My true love is bass and the boat has got me there and back to the dock everytime . doesn't cost me a arm and a leg to run . most maintenance  is changing plugs and lower unit oil. bearings on trailer. Have updated electronics 3 times and also the trolling motor .both have had auto pilot. added a Minn Kota talon which is nice. best part everything is paid for . 2 people runs out at 50 mph.  At this stage in life I don't need to spend $80,000  to fish they can have there payments. sunrises and sunsets look better without debt.  As always Ed has the right advice do some research and get a boat that fits you and what you want it to do. good fishing to you