Author Topic: Dropshotting a stick bait wacky style ( senko type )  (Read 444 times)

virginiabass4492

Dropshotting a stick bait wacky style ( senko type )
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:29 PM »
I don't realy see  the advantage in this , seems like it's defeating the purpose of the baits action by  just sitting there and shakeing it in stead of the action it gets on the fall.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Ed Gerdemann

Re: Dropshotting a stick bait wacky style ( senko type )
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
I don't realy see  the advantage in this , seems like it's defeating the purpose of the baits action by  just sitting there and shakeing it in stead of the action it gets on the fall.

Bass love wacky rigged Senkos on drop shot setups. Many of the hits come on the initial fall. Even though the fall is much faster than when fishing weightless, the two ends really wiggle as the bait goes down. Also, the wacky rigging does slow the fall on a drop shot quite a bit. When suspended up off the bottom the bait has a subtle wiggle that bass can't resist. You don't need to add any action. Just fish it like you would live bait. The little bit of shaking and vibration of the rod at rest provides all the action needed. The great advantage of this setup is you can fish a Senko in 25-40 feet of water efficiently - something you can't do when fishing weightless. It is a great deep water rig and technique.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »
Drop shotting can be a very effective way to catch fish.  I got into it about 5 years ago and did catch quite a few fish.  My problem with it is my obsessive compulsive hyper active disorder.  I can't sit still long enough and wait for the bite.  I have to be moving the boat and casting all of the time.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:58:12 PM »
Hahahah with you there  Jigman. BUT  Ed I will give it  a  try  as a  wacky rig and  thanks  for reply.

falconrod

• Super Mod
  • South Central Michigan - member since Feb 2003
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:05 AM »
Jigman...the best fish I ever caught on the dropshot whacky rig was when a friend pulled up along side me after my cast.  We BS'd a bit and my line "took off".  It was great 'cuz I set the hook while my buddy was 5' away in his boat.  I acted like it happened all the time. 

Jig Man

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:45 AM »
I hear you falconrod.  I'm not knocking drop shot, it just did not work for me.  I gave it over a year.  Float n Fly did not work for me either.  I also have very limited success with wacky unless the water is high so I can use it around the bushes.

If I could catch fish on it like Ed does I'd do it all the time.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
if I nose hook the senko seems like I have to inpart some action, otherwise it would just hang there.I understand and get the wacky style :)  tks e1

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »
if I nose hook the senko seems like I have to inpart some action, otherwise it would just hang there.I understand and get the wacky style :)  tks e1

Wacky-rigged Senkos work better on a drop shot than nose-hooked, however if you are using a drop shot in shallower water more like a split shot rig then nose-hooking Senkos work fine. I nose-hook my Yamamoto Shad Shaped Worms and they just don't hang there. Senkos don't either.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann