Author Topic: Terrific Trip  (Read 167 times)

Ed Gerdemann

Terrific Trip
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:18:35 PM »
Just returned from Lake Powell after fishing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with my longtime friend John Conrad of Prescott. In three days on the water we caught 229 smallmouths and three largemouths. We found large numbers of smallmouths concentrated on shallow points and shelves primarily off the main lake. Normally by late September there would be a lot of them in the backs of the canyons, but they haven't gone there yet in significant numbers - much like last year. We caught most of our fish at between six and 15 feet. Our best spot was a pair of gravel islands right below the mouth of Last Chance Bay. Each of these islands had several long, gradually sloping points, all of which were swarming with smallmouths. As these islands were just off the main channel there was a lot of boat traffic going by them stirring up mud lines. The smallies were actively feeding under these mud lines. I think the boat wakes were dislodging a lot of crayfish from the rocks, and the bass were taking advantage of that. I've seen this here before.

We had a lot of luck early with weightless presentations. I used a four-inch wacky rigged Senko while John fished a Yamamoto Shad Shaped Worm weightless. Both seemed to work equally as well. By 10:00 a.m. the weightless presentation didn't work as well as the drop shot even though the fish were shallow enough to fish weightless. We both used Shad Shaped Worms on our drop shot rigs. We caught numerous fish between 1 1/2 and two pounds which fought much bigger than they were. Many of them made multiple leaps as high as four feet out of the water. Needless to say we had a blast! The fact we did so well fishing daytime during a big, bright full moon period made this even more amazing.

I've got two more trips scheduled before the end of October. Although I anticipate doing well each time, I can't say we'll duplicate this again. This is probably the best smallmouth trip I've ever had on Lake Powell. I'm must amazed more people aren't fishing there.   :D
Ed Gerdemann

virginiabass4492

Re: Terrific Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:25:04 AM »
wow That was a great trip, Glad you had  so much  fun, Tks for the  report.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Jig Man

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »
Wow I'm so jealous.

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:31:46 AM »
Great trip for sure! Good job!
Kyle