Author Topic: 5"Senko worm molds  (Read 620 times)

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
5"Senko worm molds
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »
Right now in my basement inner sanctum last winter I started out Custom painting my old crank bait lures some where it went crazy I did my 50 or so crank baits and about 100 more for people and they are all gone and I am not even advertising strictly people word of mouth. Been pretty busy so far this year. . I am not complaining but I wanted to fish this year also  :) .  Now this winter I am going to try reusing my bucket of busted up Senkos remelt them and reuse them.  I know about the do it molds and wondering is there other brands if so what is the best brand mold for making the 5 in Senko. Also noticed there are a lot of different prices for same mold. Anyone that pours molds could use your advice. Good fishing

Jig Man

Re: 5"Senko worm molds
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:15:21 PM »
I have a Del-Mart stick bait mold that makes wonderful 5" baits.  It can be hand poured or injected. 

If your plastisol has salt you will need to keep it stirred well and often as the salt will sink.  If you plan to melt in a microwave don't use the one from the kitchen.  Get a cheap one from a garage sale or Wally World.

If you do this in the basement you should have an open window with a fan blowing to the outside to get rid of the fumes.  You will need some good gloves, and eye protection.  Never get water around hot plastic, it may explode.

If you haven't done this you should go to www.tackleunderground.com and look in the soft plastics forum under the (don't for newbies).  There is a lot of good info there which can save you time and maybe a serious injury as you will be working with plastic over 300.

Remember that when you start mixing baits of different colors the end result will be brown.

I have been melting plastisol for over 40 years and have a few dozen molds, hand pour, injection, home made and purchased, so I may be able to help you with your learning curve.  Post back when you have questions.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:38:20 AM by Jig Man »

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »
Thank you for sharing your knowledge will follow your advice. I like to ask questions before  jumping into something like this.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 10:09:05 PM »
Jig man got my first Senko's out and they look great decided on a CNC  mold and was glad I did . took all my Senko's that I used this summer and re melted them got about 6 packs  about 60 worms total that are usually thrown away . they weighed out the same as the original Senko both weighed in at .035 oz which doesn't surprise me it the same worm melted down. my new booth I built is working out great venting the fume outside from my basement work shop doubles up when I custom paint lures. I tank tested the lure and they still have the hula shimmy! Lets keep in touch this winter and share ideas. tight lines to ya.

Jig Man

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
I'm glad that they came out good for you.  Just a word of warning for you.  What you are doing is as addictive as crack cocaine.  Next you will be buying colorant, glitter, molds and plastisol.  There is no end to it.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »
I did that the exact thing you are warning me about ;D I  also have a small fish tank and  I have a digital scale and weigh them to the Original weight Senko's  weight of fall. really getting some great action by fooling around with mixing formulas gone through a half gallon of plastisol . Really having fun with it did some laminates and some really nice natural colors. cant wait to test them this spring.

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
Don't know about the expense of the equipment to do this, but at $7-$8 for ten Senkos, at some point you will have to be saving a ton of money from not buying Senkos.  Maybe a nice profit in the future from your product sales.  I can imagine that this can be tricky to come up with the correct salt content.  I ordered Senko style worms from a guy on the net years ago and he did not have the right mix because the green pumpkin came out a weird color and worms just fell apart after one bite.  He blamed it on the salt content.  The best to you on your venture.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:13:26 AM »
I have a Del-Mart stick bait mold that makes wonderful 5" baits.  It can be hand poured or injected. 

If your plastisol has salt you will need to keep it stirred well and often as the salt will sink.  If you plan to melt in a microwave don't use the one from the kitchen.  Get a cheap one from a garage sale or Wally World.

If you do this in the basement you should have an open window with a fan blowing to the outside to get rid of the fumes.  You will need some good gloves, and eye protection.  Never get water around hot plastic, it may explode.

If you haven't done this you should go to www.tackleunderground.com and look in the soft plastics forum under the (don't for newbies).  There is a lot of good info there which can save you time and maybe a serious injury as you will be working with plastic over 300.

Remember that when you start mixing baits of different colors the end result will be brown.

I have been melting plastisol for over 40 years and have a few dozen molds, hand pour, injection, home made and purchased, so I may be able to help you with your learning curve.  Post back when you have questions.
Do you ever put scent in bags ?  I was thinking about putting a couple of drops of Hawg sauce in each bag . have you tried doing this?

Jig Man

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
Yep.  I have used CB's sauce in 3 flavors, anise oil, and WD-40 on baits.

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 08:56:24 PM »
Love my CB's sauce how much should I put in the bag?  I use the garlic with oil

Jig Man

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 06:28:04 AM »
I'd put some in and squish them around to see if it got on all of them.  If not then add a little more.  It is easier to add than to subtract oil.

It is about time for you to post some pics of those worms.