Author Topic: Back from Last Trip of the Year  (Read 214 times)

Ed Gerdemann

Back from Last Trip of the Year
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:29:31 PM »
I returned from my last Lake Powell trip of the year yesterday. My partner John Conrad and I caught 140 smallmouths, five largemouths and one striper in three days of fishing. The fish were not as active as in previous trips but the average size caught was bigger. We took a number of smallies in the two-pound class and John caught a 3-lb. 2-oz. largemouth. The fish have been feeding heavily on crayfish, and most we took were stuffed full of them. I caught one that had three large crayfish in its stomach and one still sticking out of its mouth and yet it grabbed my Senko.

It was my observation the fish were willing to hit if we put our baits right in front of them, however given how well they had been feeding they did not see it necessary to chase our lures. The bright full moon as well as the fish could easily feed all night. We were also fishing under post-front conditions, however I don't think that was an issue given how stuffed full of crayfish these bass were.

All in all I had another great season on Lake Powell. I feel fortunate to have a lake like that reasonably close to my home. I wish more folks could experience fishing Lake Powell. The combination of the fishing and great scenery make it truly unique.  :D
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

Re: Back from Last Trip of the Year
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
Super.  Congrats on a very good season. And to think I was feeling all good after 15 bass with 5 keepers yesterday.  There is no fishery like that around these parts.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 08:21:43 PM »
wow! what a season. congrads !
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Jig Man

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 09:12:04 PM »
I had an Ed like day today with a different species.  I went white bass fishing and took a neighbor.  We boated 71 in 7 hours.  It was good to get a lot of bites for a change.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:36:54 PM »
I had an Ed like day today with a different species.  I went white bass fishing and took a neighbor.  We boated 71 in 7 hours.  It was good to get a lot of bites for a change.

Where were you fishing?  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 06:27:30 AM »
Stockton lake about 35 miles NE of Springfield.  Best bait a cut down white slider grub on a 1/16 oz jig head.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 04:14:45 PM »
Stockton lake about 35 miles NE of Springfield.  Best bait a cut down white slider grub on a 1/16 oz jig head.

Thanks for the info. I've heard Stockton is the best lake back there if you're not blown off by the wind. My parents fished it once and caught a lot of fish, however they were severely limited in where they could go and what they could do by the wind. Glad you had a great day!  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

Jig Man

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 05:39:33 AM »
Thanks Ed.  It is about half the size of Table Rock and in pretty flat country.  It can get some really big wave action going.  I always listen to the wind forecast before I go and plan my fishing areas by that.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 12:41:18 AM »
Thanks Ed.  It is about half the size of Table Rock and in pretty flat country.  It can get some really big wave action going.  I always listen to the wind forecast before I go and plan my fishing areas by that.

Powell sits down in a big hole. Day to day it's not a very windy place although the mesas above it can get quite windy. When you do get a big wind down on the lake, however, you've got big trouble. I've known more than one guy who capsized his bass boat there when he got caught in a nasty wind.  >:(
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Ed, I wish you would stop posting the depressing information on the huge numbers of fish caught LOL  What a blast. 

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 12:42:20 AM »
Ed, I wish you would stop posting the depressing information on the huge numbers of fish caught LOL  What a blast.

Powell's a great fishery that gets relatively little pressure. It gets a lot of boat traffic but relatively few people fish. Like anywhere else the key is location and presentation. It's not a particularly easy lake to fish, however once you figure it out the numbers of fish you can catch are almost unbelievable.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann

virginiabass4492

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
hahahahah  G  you  too  funny  but I know how you feel   vg yr.  ed.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)