Author Topic: Picifun Torrent Baitcaster...  (Read 401 times)

Subitai

• My other passion
Picifun Torrent Baitcaster...
« on: March 03, 2019, 11:14:35 PM »
Been a while...Hey everybody.

So I was wondering if anybody here had bought or had a chance to try this reel: 

Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Reel 18LB Carbon Fiber Drag 7.1:1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07149KWVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:02:30 PM by Subitai »
"O" ....  "I buy MORE than my share to keep the Tackle Industry in business   "

gottafish

• Administrator
Re: Picifun Torrent Baitcaster...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
I use their fly reels and love them. They seem to be decent quality. I will say though when it comes to baitcasters cheap is not the way to go. If you are proficient at them then it probably would not be as big a deal. I generally feel that when it comes to baitcasters you should stay over the 100$ mark. The again it is 40$ and piscifun is really decent at customer service so if you don't like you may be able to send it back.

Subitai

• My other passion
Re: Picifun Torrent Baitcaster...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
Just a follow up on using this reel,

I've used it on at least 10 trips now.  Mostly "Night missions" as I like to call them.   I fish spinnerbaits allot and as anyone who uses them allot knows; you take hundreds of casts on a 6 hour trip easily...at least I do. 

This reel performed great for me casting and catching good numbers of medium size bass and I had few big ones 4 & 5lbrs on it.

I did have a couple over runs for a small nest here and there (that I could easily pick out)  but that was because I purposely turned down the magnets to almost zero and I was "swinging for the fences" on a few casts to see what kinda distance I could get and to see if i'd get a birds nest. 

* I do tend to cast too hard and too far sometimes at night, mostly to cover lots of water over large flats.... but so long as I make normal  casts ... no problem.

Some observations:

1) I did take the advice of other people b4 me and took apart the reel 1st to check it out and oil / grease where needed. 

True: It did come out of the box under-prepared and missing some lubrication.  I used "CALS Reel and Drag Grease" on the carbon fiber washers (not too much)

= If I got another one I would 1st take it apart to check it and oil / grease where necessary.   

2)  I really like that this reel has DOUBLE GUIDE BARS that move the line guide side to side.  It reinforces the strength of this reel.  I had multiple big bass that I fought through to pull them in from a flat that has a large stump field in it.    If you throw a spinnerbait on that flat and count it down and just "TICK" the tops of those stumps, you can get some big ones.    The bass will also put you into the stumps too, so pulling them out was a bear. 

This reel handled it for me.

3) at trip # 5 I did open the side lube (screw) port and put some oil in...

====================================================

For line:  I've used 15lb and 20lb Yozuri Hybrid.   I haven't tried braid  on it yet but i'm sure it'd be fine.   
 I've decided to keep the line size to 15lbs or less and that will be best for me.   
"O" ....  "I buy MORE than my share to keep the Tackle Industry in business   "