Author Topic: where to fish.  (Read 126 times)

virginiabass4492

where to fish.
« on: March 05, 2019, 12:25:30 AM »
was watching major league fishing,  you saw a lot of  fish on you  fish finder  at  say  10 feet, do you throw out a marker  there!?  and  circle around and fish that area  ? or keep going  and look for  fish in the  10 ft  depth. my prob is  where  do I  fish ? in the 10 ft  depth  or  stop there  and  fish.i know when I go over them they are there and in  my cone . what is it  telling  me ? the fish finder on brother in laws  jon boat  is  a  well cheap one   ( under  150.00 )

Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Jig Man

Re: where to fish.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 06:23:20 AM »
In water that shallow I think the boat would scare the fish as it passed over them.  I also believe that if not bothered they would move back in in a few minutes.  So if I thought they were catchable fish I'd mark the spot, move away then come back later and try it from a little ways off but in reality I'm just a blind sow looking for acorns most of the time.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:40:50 PM »
In water that shallow I think the boat would scare the fish as it passed over them.  I also believe that if not bothered they would move back in in a few minutes.  So if I thought they were catchable fish I'd mark the spot, move away then come back later and try it from a little ways off but in reality I'm just a blind sow looking for acorns most of the time.

I agree that if you are over fish that shallow you will likely spook them, however I would drop a lure down to them right below the boat just to see. I have caught smallmouth at less than 10 feet directly below the boat in clear water. If you don't catch anything mark the area and come back later.

Regardless of what you do there, however, you need to make note of where the fish were, i.e. depth, type of structure, cover, angle of the sun, etc. That could be the start of your putting together a pattern for the day. It's very important to know if they were way back on a flat or if they were right on the edge of the break line. Try to nail down as many specifics as possible and concentrate your efforts fishing like areas. That will help keep you from fishing over lots of empty water.   ;)
Ed Gerdemann

virginiabass4492

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Thanks
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

bassobsessed

• Bassobsessed
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 04:07:25 PM »
I have seen on TV where the Pros talk about they say the bass feel the signal in there lateral lines so they back off from the cone. I have been using markers since the 70's and I always used it to mark  underwater breaks. and crank bait them . Structure  like trees and such in say a 10 to 15 ft of water I would never gave it a thought to pitch into it with a worm .