Author Topic: Starting Battery Woes  (Read 446 times)

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Starting Battery Woes
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
 Thursday was a picture perfect day to hit the Potomac for the first time.  I haul everything to the state park boat storage yard, load the boat and drop it in the river and when I turned the key... nothing and I had just charged the starting battery the day before.  So I figure what the heck, I have had that Interstate 800 CCA for at least 5 years so it just died.  I took it to the  Interstate Battery store and told the guy my battery is a least 5 years old, but do not remember when I bought it and I need a new one.  He reached down and scraped off the top corner of the battery to better read something and says, " this battery is nine years old sir".  My, how time flies.  :o

Jig Man

Re: Starting Battery Woes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 03:30:25 PM »
Nine years old!!!!  That battery sure doesn't owe you anything.  I run maybe 4 then get new.

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Re: Starting Battery Woes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:31:25 PM »
I have pulled it at  each end of season and put it on a battery tender.  In addition, I always have always had it on a battery pulsing desulfinater during this time and I guess it must have worked pretty well. The Interstate Battery guy said he guessed that keeping the plates clean worked.