Author Topic: First Trip Report  (Read 473 times)

Ed Gerdemann

First Trip Report
« on: May 11, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »
Just got back from my first Lake Powell trip of the year. Despite some marginal weather the fishing was excellent. On Wednesday the wind ran us off the lake after just 3 1/2 hours. Still we managed to catch 38 smallmouths. Thursday, despite numerous rain showers in the area, we managed a full day and took 104 smallmouths and one striper. We could see it raining all around us, but we only had one small shower hit our heads. The same thing happened Friday except we had to endure a bit more rain, but we still didn't catch the brunt of what was around us. We managed to catch 79 smallmouths, one largemouth and one walleye. The largemouth was the biggest fish of the trip at 2 3/4 pounds. The biggest smallie was 2 lbs. 4 oz. We caught a large number of smallmouths just a bit smaller than that one. My arthritic right thumb is really sore right now as is my right wrist and arm. Both of my thumbs are quite raw from handling so many fish.

This year on Lake Powell promises to be every bit as good as last year and maybe even better. Hardly anyone smallmouth fishes there so I have the bronze backs pretty much to myself most of the time. I'm not complaining!  ;D
Ed Gerdemann

virginiabass4492

Re: First Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
Very good report, Glad you  had a great time.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Sounds like a great trip. I have been a little busy lately to do any fishing except on the backyard. Plus it has been cold here so need to see the weather change.

Jig Man

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »
There you and lake Powell go again.  I just got back from fishing for smallmouth for a week at Lake Stockton.  We averaged around 30 pre day on the Ned rig.  But here again it doesn't compare to what must be the best smallmouth fishing in the USA.  Congrats bud.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:46:11 PM »
There you and lake Powell go again.  I just got back from fishing for smallmouth for a week at Lake Stockton.  We averaged around 30 pre day on the Ned rig.  But here again it doesn't compare to what must be the best smallmouth fishing in the USA.  Congrats bud.

I'm heading up again Monday with my friend. We'll see if the pattern holds. The lake is rising from Colorado West Slope runoff so things could be different.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann