Author Topic: Drop shots  (Read 1119 times)

virginiabass4492

Drop shots
« on: August 18, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
ok it's mostly for small mouth  so i'am giving up on that. don't have any in this area.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Jig Man

Re: Drop shots
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:26:51 AM »
I used to drop shot for largemouth.  The bread and butter for the Table Rock guides in the summer time is drop shotting for spotted bass.

virginiabass4492

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 04:42:44 PM »
Ok  tks  , maby I will  give it another try at  least  till end of this season. tks for reply.

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:53:00 PM »
There's no reason drop shotting won't work for largemouths especially in deep, clear lakes. I've caught some nice ones drop shotting on Lake Powell. I know a lot of guys drop shot for largemouths in the Central Arizona Desert Lakes (Roosevelt, Bartlett, Pleasant, etc.) with excellent success. In fact, in tournaments on these lakes drop shotting is one of the surest bets to get a limit of green bass quickly. If you're targeting largemouth exclusively use some larger soft plastics. I'd try a 5-inch Senko on a 3/0 circle hook. Largemouths will eat that in a heartbeat!  :)
Ed Gerdemann

virginiabass4492

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:29:43 AM »
tks ed .

virginiabass4492

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
what if I leave 4-5 in. of line below bait , in case I want to adjust  depth of bait, do you think that would  hurt my presentation ? STILL  trying to learn :)

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »
what if I leave 4-5 in. of line below bait , in case I want to adjust  depth of bait, do you think that would  hurt my presentation ? STILL  trying to learn :)

Most guys I know leave six to eight inches of line between the hook and the sinker. I actually go a lot longer leaving 12 to 20 inches. I do this for a reason. Even when bass are feeding on the bottom they will look up from time to time and will take a lure up off the bottom. I've caught smallmouths full of crayfish that hit a drop shot Shad Shaped Worm 15-20 inches up off the bottom. On the other hand, I've found if the bass are looking up for their food they are much less likely to look down on the bottom. By setting up the way I do I've got both situations covered. Bottom feeding smallmouths on Lake Powell will often come up 20 plus feet to blast a surface lure or lipless crank bait.

Hope this helps.  ;)
Ed Gerdemann