Author Topic: Shimano SLX  (Read 162 times)

G3boats

• USA Retired (31 years)On The Tidal Potomac
Shimano SLX
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
Although I need another reel like a hole in my head, my two daughters gifted me with a Shimano SLX baitcaster for father's day.  This is the $99 little wonder Shimano came out with last year in matte black with the cast control cap and spool in bright blue.  Pretty sexy.  It weighs in at 6.9oz and comes in three speeds. They picked the 8.2:1 for me, which suits me fine.  Everyone thinks it is super tiny, but it is actually about the same size as the Curado 70 and the spool capacity for 10 and 14lb mono is the same as the 70.  I have not had a chance to try it out  yet on the water, but in the yard with a 3/8 weight on 10lb flouro line and two brakes on, it was really smooth.  Of course, the first thing I always have to do is get inside and it  appears to be pretty solidly built like a Shimano should be.  I did not bother to change the factory grease on gears, but I did clean the factory oil from the bearings and gave them a touch of Yellow Rocket Fuel. Shimano always delivers a reel with way too much oil in the spool bearings.  It comes with a bushing on the drive shaft, but hey, I fished my Citicas with a bushing on the drive shaft for years and it was no big deal.  I will probably put a bearing in there at some point just because I like to tinker.  On the water it will start as a Senko set up.  Stay tuned.

virginiabass4492

Re: Shimano SLX
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
congrads,  goodluck.
Keep Your Lines Wet :)

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
That gear ratio will work great when a bass picks up your Senko and runs straight for the boat as they so often do. I'm actually thinking about getting a faster retrieve reel for the very same reason.  :)
Ed Gerdemann

G3boats

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »
I was all geared up to hit the Potomac yesterday to try the new reel, but a forecast of 94 with humidity made me change mind, so I finished stripping my deck instead.  Big mistake.  I thinks I dropped 3lbs in sweat :'( :'(

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »
I have them in the shop. Seem like a good solid reel. Very good reviews... Some guys are skeptical, because they are a $100 reel, but they do seem to be good. I have yet to try one, but I am going to put one on a rod, and give it a try.
Thanks for the report Hal. Give me a call some time.
IC1
Kyle

G3boats

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 01:58:48 PM »
Well guys, I hit the mighty (and very hot) Potomac yesterday for five hours and gave my new 8.2:1 SLX reel a work out in thick grass and all I can say is WOW!  It is mounted on a 6'6" MH Carbonlite and spooled with 10lb Invizx flouro with a Gammie 3/0 EWG and a Senko. It has two brakes on and the bearings had been cleaned out of the box and lubed with a tiny drop of Yellow Rocket Fuel.  I was cautious at first with a few lob casts and picked it up from there to letting fly robust over head casts and the little guy never missed a beat.  Simple thumb control was all that was needed.  For those who like to go for distance...no problem.  It can put a Senko way out there with no problem. I could not put the SLX down, just wondering when something would go wrong, but it just kept performing like my Chronarch MGL.  Can you tell I am really impressed with  a $99 reel?  The drive shaft bearing arrives from Shimano Monday and I will pop that in.  No, I did not get paid for this commercial.😃

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the report!
Kyle