Author Topic: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM BILL DANCE OUTDOORS  (Read 1325 times)

gottafish

• Administrator
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM BILL DANCE OUTDOORS
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
Today I was contacted by Bill Dance outdoors to make an announcement that the GONE FISHING/FISH TALK forum will be shut down in the next few weeks :'(. It will not return but will continue on the the facebook page linked below.

I want to make sure everyone knows this was not mine nor any of the admins idea and is part of a hosting change that is happening at BDO. I think if everyone is honest we all knew this day was coming as these forums are basically a dinosaur. Please do not contact us about this. We can not change the inevitable. After so many years of being a participant and then admin of the forum, I along with all the admins and moderators are sadden also to see this shut down.  As I have said though things change and it is now time for a change here.

Here is the message I received today on the facebook group:
Hey Steve, You are correct! We are having to cancel the Fish Talk Forum on the website due to it being incompatible with our new hosting company. We'll be switching over in the next couple weeks so if you don't mind will you let everyone know? You've all been doing such a great job and I thank each of you moderators for your years of volunteer work! Bill

You can check this out in the announcement section of the group. It is the pinned post at the top of the page.

We will continue to promote Bill's blog and show but we are not affiliated with them whatsoever for now. They have been kind enough to allow us to use the Gone Fishing logo which we truly appreciate. You will find a link to Bill's blog in the announcement section of the facebook group.

With this all said we as admins and moderators want to thank all who participated in this forum. It has had a great run but as we know in recent years it has lost it's luster. I don't think some realize what it took to run this site especially back in it's hay day. We would get dozens of spammer per week. It was hard to weed them all out. As an admin along with crossbow and BDO we would like to say thank you to all the moderators that helped with this forum, it would not have ran as smoothly as it did without you. As much as this saddens all of us we are still very excited to see where the facebook group will take us. Please use the link the below to join. Right now it is a closed group but will become a public group as soon as facebook allows us.

I will try to take from here what I can and move it to the facebook group but most of what is here will just be lost to the interwebs!! I have already linked the ranger rob and BFTR in the facebook group which you can easily find under the bass fishing tips and tricks topic. I am not sure what else I will be able to save but I will certainly try to save what I can.

Lastly a big thanks goes to Bill Dance for allowing us the pleasure to have a place to discuss our fishing addiction. We truly appreciate it.

So it is now time to say goodbye to BDO forums and say hello to the new Gone Fishing forums Facebook group

Gone Fishing Forums Facebook Group CLICK HERE

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:29:36 PM by gottafish »

gottafish

• Administrator
Re: MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM BILL DANCE OUTDOORS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
Please leave any question or concerns you may have here. I will leave this topic unlocked for now.  Please be respectful and remember the owner(BDO) has made this decision due to the incompatibility of the forum with their new hosting. This has nothing to do with the facebook group and was not asked to be removed by anyone from the facebook group.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter
Fish talk/Gone fishing Team

Ed Gerdemann

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
I've already sent an e-mail response to this but would like to say something on the forum. I realize that things change and this site was not going to last forever, but this is a sad day for me. I believe I have been on this site since 2000 which is the first year I was online. I have really enjoyed reading and participating in the posts over the years. I know I've picked up some tips that have made me a better fisherman, and I hope I've helped some folks as well. Although posting has gone down significantly over the past several years, I still looked forward to going on this forum every day to see what was happening. I feel like I'm losing part of my life.

I will not likely be joining the Facebook forum as I do not do Facebook or other social media platforms. I believe these platforms have brought about a nastiness and an over degradation of our society, and as a Christian I cannot in good consciousness participate in them even if the discussions on individual forums remain civil.

I'll continue to enjoy this forum for as long as it lasts and hopefully contribute a few more times. I wish everyone tight lines and lots of fish in the years to come!   :)

Ed Gerdemann
Ed Gerdemann

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
Well Ed I have to say you will be missed :'(. Actually though with facebook you can basically not have any friends and just join the groups you want. I mean it is not really that bad if you set up the security protocols the way you want. You may get an ad here and there but you can also opt out of them. If you don't join I definitely get it and wish you the best in the future. I too have been here since the early 2000's and I am sad to see this go but it was inevitable. As I have stated no one has asked to have this site removed and I was extremely surprised when Bill, which I am not sure if it was him or a representative, joined the facebook group and posted what is in quotes above today. It is a sad day for all of us but we kind of knew it was going to happen. Maybe someday these type forums will make a rebound but right now there is very little out there that we can use that can provide us with the ability to have discussions like we do here except for facebook.

If you change your mind just search Gone Fishin On facebook. Hope to see you there in the future.

Tight lines and take care
Steve

Crossbow

• Administrator
  • North Carolina
    • CB's Hawg Sauce
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
WOW this is a mind blower!  No one contacted me about the move and shut down. Heck I am the one that got it hosted with Frank many years back but I guess with them moving servers this had to be done. Yeah we all knew it was coming sooner or later. No life on the site made it not worth the money it cost in hosting fees.

Sad day my friends. It shall live on with the hard work you guys have done to setup a FB page.
Hats off to everyone for such a wonderful job done helping keep this site up and running!
I want to personally thank all of the mods and Admin that have helped me out!

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:30:52 PM »
I know Crossbow. I went on the facebook group and seen Bill Dance wanting to be added. I went ahead and approved thinking nothing of it. Then i seen that they left a comment on our description post that is pinned to the top. I figured you would have known but it was addressed to me so I took it upon myself to get this out there. I wanted to give plenty of time for everyone to know this is happening and that it was not anything that any of us wanted. It is extremely sad but then again since there really was little to know traffic it was inevitable. Dam shame but I think we all knew it was coming.

I hope I did not step on any ones toes in doing this. I feel like we need to get people over to the facebook group now as we really do not have an exact date when this will happen. I know we will lose some of the members but that is unavoidable. I have watched this happen on my photography forum and other fishing forums. I can't count how many times i have said it that i really prefer forums but we know that is not reality and until something else comes along or these type forums make a comeback facebook is truly about all we have.

Crossbow

• Administrator
  • North Carolina
    • CB's Hawg Sauce
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:26 AM »
No Sir you did not step on any toes my friend. You done one heck of a job with the new Facebook page! Makes me feel good to see so many of our members from here have checked in over there.  You are so right on these forums have seen their better days. I want to personally thank you and all of the other mods that have helped me keep this site going do so many years!

indiancreek1

• Global Moderator
  • Marion, Iowa
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
Sad day for us all... But we had a good long run on here. Made a lot of friends, and we learned a lot!

3677 posts that I made over the years since I was a member and moderator. Hard to say how long I lurker around prior to 2007. We were all newbies then, as we had to rejoin during an upgrade.

Thanks for all the good times!

Kyle Robinson
Indiancreek1

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
To me this is a sad day but also an exciting one with the thought of maybe bringing this back to the good old days even if it is facebook. We have a long way to go but hopefully the new group will flourish like the old one did.

Randy it was always a pleasure to work with you on this forum. you always gave me the go ahead with whatever crazy idea I came up with next. I think we have exhausted them all or at least i feel that I am exhausted trying to come up with ideas to revive this site in it's present format. I hope that we can take from here all the great times we had and bring that to the facebook group.

I will continue to bump this up top and then eventually delete it off the other boards as we get closer to the deadline which we don't know yet but hopefully will be kept in the loop as to when they will close the board for good.

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 08:54:09 AM »
bump

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 05:48:55 PM »
Just to make sure that everyone here knows that this forum is going to be gone in a couple weeks. Please use the links provided to find the new forum on facebook!!

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
Please stop by the Facebook group and sign up.

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 11:37:29 AM »
Bump

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »
bump

gottafish

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
I just had a message from BDO. They are in the process of shutting this down. They still are not positive on the exact time but it will happen in the near future. They said they will keep me in the loop so as soon as I know I will let you all know.